Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What Makes a Good Reader?




            Vladimir Nabokov enlightens readers with his opinion on how he feels what a good reader is in the article “Good Readers and Good Writers”.  There are some ideas that I agree with and some that I don’t.  I agree with Nabokov when he says that you should feel the ideas the writer gives you and to have an open mind when beginning a new book.  Nabokov feels that if you start a new book with a preconceived generalization already made then you are starting off in a wrong direction and you “travel away from the book”(Nabokov 613).  Nabokov also feels you should use your imagination, since the author did; it’s only fair that you do as well.  A reader should also know when to use his or her imagination when the author gives a clear and specific detail of the world they created (Nabokov 616). Something I do not agree with is when he says one should not identify with a character in the book. I think that when you can empathize with a character or a scene in a book you are more engaged and alert to details which therefore makes you a better reader.
Some characteristics I believe make a good reader are being able to pay attention to detail, having an open mind and a good imagination, and being able to empathize with characters or a situation within the reading. Considering the fact that I am a serial skimmer and miss important details quite often while reading I can safely say I do not feel I am a good reader. Although, due to those negative characteristics I will reread things and that is one of Nabokov's characteristics of a good reader. I find that the more interested I am in the material the better I read. Luckily there is always room for improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment